Memorial Day - May 28
The first “official” three day weekend of the year is almost here and for many of us that means a quickie vay-cay, backyard BBQs with friends and family and the unofficial kick off to summer! As wonderful as those things are, let’s not forget the real reason we are even able to celebrate this day every year. Memorial Day was created to honor and commemorate the men and women in the U.S. military who made the ultimate sacrifice while serving to protect our freedom and keep us safe.
Thank you to our military, you made us proud to be Americans. If you are a proud American too, raise your flag high, and maybe even join our community at one of these remembrance ceremonies. Have a safe and happy Memorial Day!
• Of Thee I SING!! A FREE Memorial Day Concert is being sponsored by the City of Boca Raton Monday, May 28 at 7pm at Mizner Park Amphitheater, so bring the family out for an evening of music. The concert under the stars feature the Indian River Pops Orchestra & the Robert Sharon Choral. Please note that coolers, pets, umbrellas, outside food or beverages and backpacks are not allowed in the park but happy peeps looking for a great leisurely evening are.
Call the special events hotline at 561.393.7806 selection #2 for more info.
• Remember those who gave their lives to protect our freedom by joining the City of Coconut Creek and American Legion Post 170 Memorial Day, May 28. The Ceremony is going to be held at Veterans Park (3550 Lyons Rd.) at 9am. There’ll be several dignitaries and guest speakers, the Coconut Creek Police Department Honor Guard and the Coconut Creek High School Jr. R.O.T.C always puts on a moving performance. Refreshments will be served after the ceremony. In the case of inclement weather, the ceremony moves to the Rec. Complex (4455 Sol Press Blvd.)
For more info, call 954.545.6670.
• Join the City of Coral Springs for a very special Memorial Day Ceremony Monday, May 28 at 9am, in honor of the brave men and women of our military who have given their lives in service to our nation. The Ceremony will be at Veterans Park, 8601 Royal Palm Blvd. (just east of University Drive). Come join in this moving tribute and remember all veterans and their families who have given and continue giving so the rest of us may enjoy the freedoms we have today, and sometimes take for granted.
For more info, call 954.345.2200.
• The American Legion Post 65 and Post 188, together with the Sons of the American Legion, Auxiliary and the Delray Beach Boys Scouts of America Troop 301, will honor veterans of all wars on Saturday, May 26 at the Delray Beach Memorial Gardens Cemetery, 700 SW 8th Ave. The ceremony begins at 9:30am with an opening address by Commander Donald Stubblefield. Flags will be placed at the graves of our soldiers and a rifle salute will pay tribute to our heroic dead. At the conclusion of the service, a spaghetti dinner will be served from noon until 2pm at the American Legion Post 65, 263 NE 5th Ave. There will be no charge for veterans and donations will be accepted from non-veterans. For more information, please call 561.330.6905.
• The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 4141 will pay tribute to our soldiers during their Annual Memorial Day Service on Saturday, May 26, 11am at Veterans Park, 802 NE 1st St. VFW Post 4141 Commander David Wood will lead the service with opening remarks followed by a rifle salute to commemorate the veterans who gave their lives while serving our country. Wreaths will be presented at the Veterans Park Memorial Monument and at the Intracoastal Waterway for those lost at sea. For more information please call 561.276.9529.